The chain of title in film refers to a series of contracts and documents that establish the production company or filmmaker owns and/or has a sufficient licence to use all elements of the film or television programme that are attract legal protection through copyright or other intellectual property rights.
The so-called “chain” runs from the current owner at any given time, back to the original owner of the intellectual property rights in the production. Thus, this collection of documents may continue to grow over time.
A clean chain of title is essential to obtain development or production financing; to obtain a pre-sale advance from a broadcaster; to conclude a sales or distribution deal enter into a co-production arrangement with another production company.
This seminar will explore the following topics:
• Financiers’ requirements in relation to chain of title
• Understanding copyright
• Copyright Registration
• Understanding the difference between assignments and licences
• The essential elements in any contract
• Common chain of title agreements:
– Option Agreements
– Writer Agreement / Screenplay Agreement
– Director Agreement
– Commitment from cast /key contributors- Other agreements, that may have an impact on the ownership of rights
• Producing a production based on a person’s life
• Title Reports / Copyright Reports
• Errors and Omissions Insurance
This course is aimed at producers with professional experience in Film & TV Production.
Deadline for applications is Friday the 29th of May 2015. Please apply online to www.screentrainingireland.ie If you have any queries please email firstname.lastname@example.org